Saturday, January 11, 2014

How much can we handle?

I'm not a religious person.  Faithful, yes.  A Christian with questions, I guess. I believe in redemption.  I believe in Jesus.  I don't believe God chooses to look down from the clouds to earth and deem some worthy to save.  Life is too random for that.  I can't reconcile that kids are molested, people are killed for no reason, wars start and God would have a hand in that.  I think mankind just runs amok.

Luther is one of the kindest, most positive, generous men I've ever met.  His son died.  Now he's terminally ill.  I think, why doesn't this happen to someone who "deserves" awful things?  But I know it doesn't work like that.  Life is random.

I tend to think people like me - who are not devout or committed to faith - turn to faith in times like this.  As if I'm going to find some answers.  Some comfort.  Someone to "talk" to in the middle of the night.  I don't think God sits in a heavenly armchair, an elusive therapist, listening to my questions, concerns.

My cousin posted this:

God always gives us more than we can bear  <---- click this

Lots to think about.

At the moment, on a rare Saturday off, it's time to do laundry, clean the living room and think about God.



No comments:

Post a Comment