Monday, March 10, 2014

Reality check...

At the Vets Hospital today.  Range of motion exercise test to see if Luther's eligible for a motorized wheelchair. He is.  Things are happening faster than we want to see, than we want to accept.

We thought for a time, he could use a cane.  In your head, you have this cool image:  a wandering nomad with his big stick.  Big Daddy with his cool cane.  But he can't grip so he can't hold the cane.

They're providing him with this techno-walker.  No tennis balls on his walker!  It's got four wheels, turns on a dime, has elbow rests (which he really needs - his arms are like heavy weights hanging from his shoulders), a basket!! and a seat.

He went from one brace on his leg to two.  They're actually kind of cool.  They strap around his leg and brace the front of his leg.  Knee high.  Super lightweight metal that curves under his foot and slide in to his shoe.

It's humbling to be at the VA.  My moments of "geez, I have to get up early" sort of pale.  I know I have to recognize my issues  - I think it's legitimate to say I'm tired and figure out how to find more time - and yet, when I put it in perspective, the scale of my issues are small.

It's a bright, sunny warm day today.  Feels good.  Feels hopeful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rXiNe_-WT4   <---- Power of  Two, Indigo Girls
"Baby I'm here to stop your crying
Chase all the ghosts from your head
I'm stronger than the monster beneath your bed
Smarter than the tricks played on your heart
We'll look at them together then we'll take them apart

Adding up the total of a love that's true
Multiply life by the Power Of Two"

No comments:

Post a Comment