Sunday, June 29, 2014

Good News / Bad News

So the good news first!

Luther and I are getting married!!    Saturday, July 5th - which is, weirdly, my dad's birthday.  It's pretty much a last minute thing but we figured we had everyone trapped at my parent's cabin all at one time and we'd just get 'r done!

My sister, Ann, became ordained online and she's going to officiate.

Fingers crossed it's going to be a sunny day - I don't remember a rainy 4th of July weekend in years.  And then on to the pontoon parade where the theme this year will be "JUST MARRIED."   (Past years pontoon parade themes have been:  Christmas in July, Pirates, Sock Monkeys)

My brother's girlfriend, Noreen, sings at weddings so she's been gracious enough to say she'd sing at our wedding.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKQpRgxyyqo    <---- the song

At first, I wanted something really casual and simple - which I think it will be - but I realize we needed to make it feel like a wedding!  A celebration!

Ben and Emily - my youngest niece and nephew - will walk down the deck together.  Will and Molly will walk down together.  I think my mom and dad will walk me down.  My best friend, Jen will be there!

Dad is going to do a reading   ------------->
It's the Corinthians reading, pretty traditional for weddings.  He asked if he could do it and that made me happy and it got me to thinking we need to make it be like a real wedding.  Wait!  This IS a real wedding!!!

I found some other passages I like that I've asked each niece and nephew to read:   something short, something I like that is close to my heart and I'm hoping having the kids involved will make it nifty for them to be a part of our wedding.

We're doing our own vows.  I've got a jillion things swirling around in my head (imagine that) -- there's so much I want to say to Luther!!  I did find a poem I really really liked:

Love by Roy Croft

I love you
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;

I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can't help
Spider's Web Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.

Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.

The bad news?  I shouldn't say bad.  It is what it is... something we've expected but you're never ready for when it happens.  This morning, Luther couldn't lift his arms at all.

To date, he's had limited use of his arms.  No shoulder strength at all but he could fling up his elbows and grip a little.  This morning, he couldn't fling and no grip.  How can you be alone if you can't use your arms?

So far, I've been able to leave him alone for a time because he can take stuff out of the fridge, pop it in the micro wave.  Awkwardly, he can use the phone or the bathroom...  but he could use them.

Now?  I'm not sure.  Toward the afternoon, as he got "warmed up" - he got a little better.  He could slide his pronto pups out of the fridge, on to a table, wheel the table to the microwave... but that was it.

We're not really sure what to do.  Up the home health care?  We're talking about paying someone just to be with him.  And then I think - that should be me.

It will fall in to place.  For all my worrying, everything seems to fall in to place.  I have a great family, I have a really great guy, I'm getting married!!



1 comment:

  1. Hey wonderful. Paula and I send our best wishes.
    Post lots of pictures for your fans.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete